Road tax in Punjab is a tax that a vehicle owner has to pay for the use of public roads. The money generated through this tax is used for road maintenance and development. The amount of money charged depends on the type of vehicle and its engine capacity.
For example, A car with an engine capacity of 800 ccs will have to pay for more than one with a 600 cc capacity.
How much is the road tax for a car in Punjab?
The road tax payment for cars, bikes, commercial vehicles and trucks in Punjab is calculated based on the engine capacity (cc). The road tax for buses and two-wheelers differs from that of other vehicles. Here’s a list of how much you have to pay for each category:
- 1,200 – 3,000 cc: Rs 1,200/year
- 3,001 – 4,000 cc: Rs 1,800/year
- 4,001 – 5,000 cc: Rs 2,500/year
- 5,001 – 7500 cc: Rs 3 500/year
- Above 7500 ccs: Rs 8 200/year
What are the documents required for registration renewal in Punjab?
After registration, the owner must get the registration certificate issued by the Punjab Regional Transport Authority (PRTA). This will be done after inspection of the vehicle and submission of documents such as:
- The ownership proof like the original title deed or sale certificate
- Fitness Certificate (of Engine)
- Guarantee for Insurance coverage for a minimum three years period. For example, insurance policy copy.
The pollution certificate is required if you own an old diesel vehicle with more than 2000 CC engine capacity.
If a vehicle owner does not have an RTO number plate, they should get it from the RTO officer in their area, who can also provide information about renewal procedures and fees.
How can I check online road tax in Punjab?
Road tax or vehicle tax is a yearly fee that you have to pay for your car. You can pay the road tax online, but you’ll need some information about your car first. To check online road tax in Punjab, follow these steps:
- Click on the link below and choose “Check Online” from the drop-down menu that appears: https://eprocurement.punjabnetbanking.com/portal/eprocurementportal/registration/default.aspx (link is external)
- Enter your registration number and click on “Next.” The next screen will ask for details about your vehicle, such as the make and model of the car, engine capacity and other information specific to that type of vehicle—so be sure it’s right!
How can I pay road tax online in Jharkhand?
The owner can pay the road tax online on the official website of the Jharkhand government. The following are steps to pay road tax online:
- Visit the website https://www.jharoad.gov.in/.
- Click on the link ‘Pay Road Tax Online’ that appears upon clicking on the ‘Online Services’ tab under the ‘Road Transport Department’ section on the left navigation panel.
- Enter your vehicle number, plate number and registration number in the required fields to proceed further from this page (see screenshot).
- Enter your name, address, contact details etc., if not already filled up during the application form filling process in the previous steps (see screenshot).
You can also make payment at any bank branch near you using a net banking/debit card or credit card/debit card provided by issuing bank after fulfilling KYC requirements as applicable by respective banks before making payment.
The road tax rules vary from state to state.
Road tax rules vary from state to state and differ for different vehicles. It also applies to different categories of cars, depending on their engine capacity and other specifications. For example, the road tax limit for a car in Punjab is decided by the government of Punjab, which varies from city to city.
The road tax limit for an ordinary sedan car with less than 1,500 cc engine capacity or a commercial vehicle with less than 2,000 cc engine capacity is Rs 1,200/- per annum. The maximum rate is Rs 2,000/- per annum if your car has more than 1,500 cc engine capacity or your commercial vehicle has more than 2,000 cc engine capacity but does not exceed 3 tons gross weight (GWT).
The road tax is the amount a car owner pays to drive on public roads. The government collects this money to maintain and improve roads across the country. The road tax rate depends on several factors such as engine capacity, type of vehicle, type of fuel and more.
The Punjab government has fixed Rs 1,000 per year as an annual registration fee for four-wheeled vehicles with an engine capacity of less than 800 cc capacity while cars with engines between 800 ccs and 1200 cc will have to pay Rs 2,100 per year as road tax. Three-wheelers with engines less than 300 ccs are charged Rs 600 per year, while those between 300-500 cc pay Rs 1,500 annually in Punjab.